Monday, October 10, 2005

Monday on the run

well, i'm EUPHORIC! my BODY (torso, lungs, tummy, most everything) felt GGGREAT this morning on my run. i set out to do 7 miles. count them. i have NEVER run seven miles in my life...save the 2 times i ran bloomsday(over 13 yrs ago). (isn't that 7.2 or sumpin?) i've done the 10K (on race days) plenty of times. i've rarely TRAINED over 5 miles. so, thanks to amber, for inspiration AND sending me the training schedule, i PLANNED this 7 miler today. i didn't eat late (yet wasn't starving when went to bed), didn't get to bed as early as i'd planned but 11 isn't OVER THE TOP LATE, up by 6 and out the door 10 minutes late at 640a.m. pottied both girls and tucked them in to bed w/ daddy and lotsa pillows B4 i went...part of the ritual. that settles everyone back in so there's hardly any chance of my wild card (youngest dd) waking up too early for my dh, thus making this a negative thing to start the day instead of a GOOD thing.

all that to say (i've GOT to get less verbose iffen i wanna do this blog thing...short & sweet...NOT MY STYLE) i got outta the house a tad later than i wanted. y'see i need to be back cuz i have a little girl who comes to my house in the mornings. she gets here at sporadic times but i really wanna be back by 755 to shower & out by 8 or so....she could come anytime after 8. as i'm warming up i'm debating, do i cut off a mile or 2 (i couldn't really calculate in my head and i dont' have a forerunner YET) so to come home sooner, or go for it and get the 7 under my belt but perhaps get home too late? well, dh is home, worse case scenario. i HATE having to debate like this WHILE i'm running. i don't want to take the easy way out and cut my run short. actually, i rarely have that problem. usu i will run farther, not shorter, and end up burning out.

anyway, i decided to take it slow but still do the miles. i figured, if they come early today, i will tell them we NEED a set time. i wanted the mileage under my belt and everything amber has told me and i've read, is that the time doesn't matter...yet. that we are concerned with going the distance. not at the expense of pain but you know. THAT was the other concern. my inside right shin has been complaining a bit. it got worse as yesterday went on...yesterday being rest day. i'm wearing good shoes all day long every day now, so my heel pain has mostly abated but my shin was really giving me fits. i'll HAVE to ice today ..and tomorrow...

I also decided to NOT use my ipod shuffle (the greatest thing since the enell sports bra!) until over 1/2 way done. i wanted to 'be alone w/ my thoughts' as amber would say. (barf!) but it was good. i prayed. we really don't give God enough time. at least i know i don't. also, i concentrated on the stupid sidewalk. i hate sidewalks. actually, i hate CURVES in the path! i hate uneven roadway. it's funny, today i noticed that the sidewalks on clearwater ave are slanted down toward the street, i s'pose for water run-off into the gutter; yet on 10th avenue, they were slanted the OTHER WAY to run off into the grass!!!!!!!!!!!! whassup w/ that? i specifically run on alternate sides of the road (WHEN I'M RUNNING ON SIDEWALKS...i'd rather stick to asphalt, facing traffic) to like, even my legs out. so, i picked that side of the road since i'd been slanting in the opposite direction on the other road. but OH NO... does this make sense?

the good part about that part of the run was i'd turned on the shuffle. WOW. what a difference! i had lost track of my margaret becker cds....i thought i only liked to run to "soul" (her album) but i rediscovered (and downloaded) her anthology..."steps of faith" the songs are from "the reckoning", "simple house", "immigrant's daughter," "etc...and I REDISCOVERED my initial love of her heart and honesty. truly, have you ever really listened to the words of songs like "streets of innocence" or "just come in"....ohmygosh. God's grace is so good! and i have never been so moved as when i listen to her beautiful voice sing about it. i'm a real music person...and i feel like my friends who don't enjoy it are missing out! hmmmm... i could go on and on. another blog? well, i have a family awaiting so i'd best get to the rest of my run. hope you are sitting down, WITH your coffee. (no donut,pls)

i don't know when i really noticed my shin hurting. it could have been on of the 5-7 times i had to WAIT to cross the street. the town that i grew up in was not as trafficky so i could sprint across whether or not the little white walking man appeared on the screen of the lite post. but now, in BUSY, METROPOLITAN KENNEWICK, i must WAIT for him...and HE IS SOOO SLOOOOOW! aaargh! i waited a whole 2-3 minutes at the corner of union and 10th! what??? i know they forgot about me for one whole cycle. i think mr white walk man was out on a donut run! (and i'm not even craving donuts!) (not on run day...save that for rest day! when i'm not even burning calories!) i'd think the drivers would have pity on me and roll down their windows to tell me i could go across but no. have you ever looked at the commuters at that time in the a.m.? they are barely awake (another good reason to be very wary) and grumpy-looking. i had a few smiles. but mostly vacant stares. not at me.

anyway, it was at one of those cross walk waiting sessions that i started noticing my shin owie. but you wouldn't believe how GREAT the rest of my bod felt. and i should have more owies, i'm thinking. i have a lot of wt to lose! so i just took it slow today and made sure not to POUND THE PAVEMENT. I don't know what mile i was when i felt what. but i was coming up to the last 2 miles and i was euphoric! i didn't even feel like stopping and walking when i got to where i knew it was about 6.8 or almost 7. i thought for sure i'd get to this one corner and walk home. but i didn't need to.

2 things i noted today: i had previously said it takes me about 3 miles, 30 minutes to really feel good. well, starting slow and easy today...i seriously think everything was numb (all shaken to numbness...my jiggly parts that is)(not numb in a bad way like i'm ignoring pain,...i mean all the jiggles are out) by 7 minutes into it. THAT IS AWESOME, huh? it's not like i have to be in misery for 30 whole minutes! i can plan to kind of be outta sorts for only SEVEN!

okay, for the end of the story, i decided to run all the way to my corner,,,in case my little 'daycare' charge was early...WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT. i turned the corner, and there they were! the one day i'm over .. it was like 8:15! so...you know, i don't actually know how many minutes i stood on street corners (!) waiting for the okay to cross. i know i ran for 1hr24 minutes and tried to remember to stop the watch when i was waiting. it was right at 7 or 7.1...so that's like 12 minute miles. i knew it'd be slower than my normal 10min/mile.

so, i plan to ice today and whenever it hurts (shin) and stick to the PLAN and only run 3 on wed and sat and do 4 on thurs and rest fri and tues. (nice and outta order, huh?) i will have to know my routes ahead of time and not guess. when i guess i usu run over 'just in case' and then i'm doing too much too soon. i don't know what i'll do if i continue to have pain. Lord, pls heal my shins and heel!

stats: mon 10-10-05
clear, cool, tad bit 'o wind on homeward stretch
miles: 7
time: 84 minutes
min/mile: approx 12
yeah baby!
thank YOU, Lord, the creator and maker of all good things...including the ABILITY to run! thank You and only YOU for this ability..for making our bodies so intricate and wonderful. how could anyone doubt INTELLIGENT DESIGN? i thank You that i have this mode of refreshment, clearing my head, doing something wonderful for my body! amen!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Hey KT,

Wowee... looonnnngggg post there, grrllfriend!

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS on running 7 miles! You're my hero!

I'm dying with my 5K (3.2 miles, I think that is?) but I just keep plodding along.

BTW, what is an enell sports bra?? Dish up the details, honey! I'm running with 3 (yes, count 'em: one-two-three!) sports bras on right now, and it ain't comfy, but a girl's gotta do, what a girl's gotta do. (You can find my e-mail addy on my profile and e-mail me privately about that one, if you like, OK? ;-)

And yes, I read the comments on old postings on my blog. (Have the settings adjusted so comments are e-mailed to me. :-)

Keep up the great work. You're an inspiration to this northern girl!

Good luck with icing the legs, too...

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home